Just as a warning, this song makes me cry every time I hear it. One night I was in the shower and it came into my head for whatever reason. Naturally, I began to sing it at the top of my lungs, but unfortunately (well, maybe fortunately) I just couldn't get through it without unexplainably bursting into tears. I understand this is probably not normal and you might be thinking "I wonder if she's pregnant", but I simply couldn't help it (and, no I'm not pregnant ;). Anyway, this song always takes me back to the house I grew up in and the home I'm not really a part of anymore. My sisters both live in Birmingham, Alabama and my parents are headed that way very soon. I will be thrilled the day they are able to move closer to their girls and to their precious grandchildren, but in a way I dread it too. It makes me very sad to think I won't be able to return to the house I grew up in in Fayetteville, Georgia, with the little playhouse in the backyard my dad and grandfather built for me; the weathered, red trampolene with rusty springs; wiggly greetings from our four-legged, furry side of the family; my dad relaxing in the open doorway of the garage listening to talk radio with Charlie at his side after a long day of yard work; my mom cooking southern meals passed down from her mom in the cozy kitchen; the halls and rooms that hold so many memories. I guess this song fosters some sort of emotion for everyone as everyone has their own memories of the house they grew up in. For me, it makes me proud of where I come from and also it makes me desperately miss my family, the south, my home. So if you're ever in the mood for a good cry, indulge in this song. If you're anything like me it'll work every time.
No comments:
Post a Comment